The first few months of 2013 have been extremely busy in online ecommerce with brands building on the momentum of a good Christmas and above average January sales.
The numbers in basket abandonment and cart recovery have been notable with a rise in abandonment rates and the ROI of each basket abandonment email sent increasing to over five dollars!
Taken from a consolidation of 200 leading global brands (including Sony, Opodo & Ralph Lauren) here’s 7 big basket abandonment stats from Q1 2013:
- 73.6% was the average shopping cart, basket and booking abandonment rate (up from 70.7% in Q4 2012)
- Most abandonments happened between 8 and 9pm – with Thursday the most common day
- 48.1% of basket abandonment emails were opened (up from 45.9% in Q4)
- 14.9% of basket abandonment emails were clicked (up from 13.5% in Q4)
- 33.3% of these clickers went on to purchase a product (up from 30.1% in Q4)
- The AOV was 58% higher for purchases from basket abandonment emails compared with direct sales (up from 36% in Q4)
- Revenue per basket abandonment email sent was $5.78 (up from $4.14 Q4)
For more information about the numbers, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org